Wat Pho is the first grade royal temple. Full name is "Wat Phra Chetuphon Wimonmangkhalaram Ratchaworamahawihan". King Rama l restored and ordered the construction of the chedi to house the Phra Sri Sanphet Buddha image that was brought from Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya.
In 1834, King Rama lll ordered the restoration of the chedi after which the king named it "Phra Maha Chedi Sri Sanphetdayan" and constructed "Phra Maha Chedi Dilok Dhammakanitan" to honour and pay respect to King Buddha Loetla Naphalai (King Rama ll).
The temple is also a "University of the people" in which knowledge of various subjects has been collected and inscribed on stone in the area of the Ubosot, so that the people can receive knowledge.
In Wat Pho, Phra Buddha Deva Patimakorn is enshrined in the Ubosot. Under the pedestal are the ashes of King Rama l. There is also the vihara enshrining the attractive Reclining Buddha, Phra Buddhasaiyas that is the 4th largest in Thailand. Total of 45m long and 15m high. It is made of bricks and plaster, gilded in gold leaf and lacquer. The soles of the feet are intricately inlaid with mother-of-pearl depicting the 108 lakshanas, the auspicious signs of the Buddha.
In addition, Wat Pho has 99 chedis, known as the temple with the most chedis in Thailand.